Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Where does my help come from?

 

“I will lift up my eyes to the hills---From whence comes my help? My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.” (Psalms 121:1-2)

 

   In October 1973 I was a soldier assigned to an infantry battalion in Berlin, Germany. I was fortunate to be selected to attend the German Mountain Warfare School in Mittenwald, West Germany to complete a mountain climbing course. The school was located at the foot of the Alps on the Austrian border and it was a beautiful place to learn to climb. My experience in “mountains” at that time consisted of some hiking on the Appalachian Trail in Georgia as a Boy Scout, and training in mountainous warfare at Dahlonega, Georgia in the U.S. Army’s Ranger School.


   The first day we were outfitted with knickers and long socks to go with our standard uniform shirts and combat boots and we set out on a hike up a steep mountain track with our backpacks properly stocked with water, German bread and ‘wurst’ for lunch. We labored up the trail for about 2 or 3 hours and we finally reached the top of the ridgeline and the entire mountain range exploded into our view! The sight of the mountains was magnificent, and even though I have had many other opportunities to see majestic mountain scenes since then in Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Ecuador, Colorado, and Montana, I always remember my first, up close, glimpse of the Alps that October day.

 

   When I read the Scripture above I always have that magnificent scene come to my mind. The God that created those majestic mountains is the same God that I can look up to in time of need. He made heaven and earth and He is the only one I need to turn to when I need help with a big or small problem. The author of Psalms 121 continues:

 

   “He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel Shall neither slumber or sleep.” (verses 3-4)

 

   God is on duty 24 hours a week, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. He doesn’t sleep! He does not get tired. Do you need to talk to Him at 3 AM about something on your heart? He is on duty! Do you need some advice on even the smallest of matters? He is on duty, and He cares! He is your loving Father. He is your Redeemer! He is your best Friend! You are His sheep, and He is the Good Shepherd. He takes care of His children always; not sometimes, but always!

 

   “The LORD is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day,  Nor the moon by night.” (verses 5-6)

 

  Have you ever been struck by the sun, and needed some shade  right now? I can remember some times in the Mojave desert in California or the Sinai desert in Egypt when the temperature was 130 degrees Fahrenheit and the only shade was from a poncho, or sitting in the shadow of a rock or a vehicle. He is my shade in the hot, hot sun! He is my shelter and comfort when I am discouraged on my bed at night! 


  “The LORD shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul.  The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in From this time forth, and even forevermore.” (verses 7-8)

 

  If you have surrendered your life to Jesus, and He is your Master and Savior, then He shall preserve you from all evil! He will preserve your very soul for eternity! Whenever you go out and when you come in He is there with you every step of the way. He will never leave you nor forsake you. Never!

 

  “And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31: 8) 

 

 

PRAY

 

1.    Lord, thank you that I can always depend upon you in the good times, the hard times, and the devastating times. You are with me always!

2.    Lord, thank you for saving my soul and preparing a place for me to spend eternity with You, and with all those whose names are written in the Lambs Book of Life.

3.    Fill me with Your Spirit today, that I may be guided by you throughout the entire day, and when the day is done I can praise You for keeping me on the right path until I rest my head on my pillow.

 

 

   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment