Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Who was Saint Patrick?

 

“How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger of him who brings good news, Who proclaims peace, Who brings glad tidings of good things, Who proclaims salvation, Who says to Zion, Your God reigns!” (Isaiah 52:7 NKJV)

 

   Although my name is Patrick, (I was named for my mother’s favorite uncle, Patrick Malloy), I have never been too interested in learning about who exactly Saint Patrick was. I knew that he was a Christian who had brought the gospel message to Ireland many years ago, and that it gave everyone an excuse to celebrate “Irishness,” and drink green beer on Saint Patrick’s Day.  That was about the extent of my knowledge, until recently, when I bought a book for my grandchildren about Patrick.

 

   It turns out that Saint Patrick, so designated by the Catholic Church, (although as I read the Bible, the title of saint applies to all Christians who have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ) lived in the fourth century A.D. His family had some wealth and had a beach villa on the coast of Britain and when Patrick was 16 some raiders from Ireland attacked the villa and captured him, and several other members of the household, and took them to Ireland to be sold as slaves.

 

   During that time he gave his life over completely to Christ and said in his autobiography “Confessions” that: “The Lord opened my senses to my unbelief, so that…I might remember my many sins; and accordingly I might turn to the Lord my God with all my heart.” He served as a shepherd for his new master for 6 years and many of his fellow slaves called him “Holy Boy” because he never ceased to talk about his Lord Jesus. 

 

   When he was 22 years old he had a dream that he would return to his old country and then later in another dream he was told, “Come and see where your ship is waiting for you.” He escaped and walked 200 miles to the shore and there saw a ship off the coast. He yelled to a sailor to allow him to come aboard but was refused. Then the sailor said that the other men wanted him to come so he went aboard. The journey took a 28-day stop on another small island and when they ran out of food the captain of the ship, who had heard him talk of God, challenged Patrick to ask his God for food. Patrick told the captain that “nothing is impossible for God” and immediately the crew turned around and there was a herd of pigs! The crew feasted for days and gave thanks to God.

 

  Patrick was returned home after a trip lasting 2 years and his family was overjoyed to have him back. He then studied to become a priest and once again had a dream that the people of Ireland wanted him to return and live among them. He purposed in his heart to return to Ireland and, even though his parents and the church leaders were opposed to his plan, he knew that it was God who was calling him and he must go.

 

   Back in Ireland he shared the gospel with his former slave owner, who refused to hear it, and then he traveled all over the island preaching the gospel. Many persecuted him, but many more accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior! He was imprisoned at times and briefly enslaved again also. 

 

   He shared Christ throughout Ireland until his death on March 17thAD 461. Later the shamrock was introduced into the holiday celebration, as it was believed he used them to demonstrate the Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. His courageous life should challenge us all to be bold witnesses for Jesus Christ today, and until the day we die!

 

  “But sanctify the Lord in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear.” (1 Peter 3:15)

 

 

 

 

PRAY:

 

1.    Lord, thank you for Saint Patrick and for the example of obedience he has given us by his wiliness to take the gospel to a difficult and dangerous land.

2.    Help me today to not be afraid to talk to others I encounter about Jesus and all that He means to me and all those who call Him master.

3.    Lord, fill me with your Spirit today so that I will be guided by You and not by my own selfish desires. 

 

   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment