Thursday, December 22, 2016

Expectant prayer


"But certainly God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, Who has not turned away my prayer, Nor His mercy from me." (Psalms 66:19-20)


         Several years ago The Free Church of Scotland held an important meeting in Aberdeen, Scotland. Many people for miles around walked or rode to get there and hear the speaker. Two such men, an elderly man from the country, and a young theological student, found themselves walking together. They stopped for a short lunch and the old man suggested they pray before eating. As he prayed the elderly man asked three specific requests of God. “Lord you know I am hard of hearing, can you get me a seat close to the speaker. And Lord you know that I need new shoes and do not have money to buy any. And finally Lord I need a place to stay tonight because I know no one in town.” The student was somewhat shocked at the specifics of the prayer and prayed a general prayer as elegant as he could make it. He was very doubtful that God was interested in the old man’s specific needs.

   When they arrived at the church it was already overflowing. The elderly man was able to just squeeze inside the door and stood there with his hands to his ears. Just as it happened, a young lady in the first pew turned and saw the old man standing at the door. She turned to the usher and said, “My father told me to save a seat for him but if he was detained to give it to another. It appears he will not make it, so could you go back to the door and bring that elderly gentleman that is holding his hands to his ears? In a few moments he was sitting at the feet of the speaker. His first petition granted.

   During the service the old man went to his knees to pray during the prayer time and the young lady remained standing. She couldn’t help but notice the old man’s shoes were in bad shape. After the service she delicately mentioned to the man that her father was a shoe dealer and could he accompany her to his shop and she would be happy to provide for him a new pair of shoes. Petition two was answered. While he was trying on the shoes she asked him where he was staying for the night. He replied, “My Father has a room for me but I don’t know where yet” She rightly understood he was talking about his heavenly Father and said. “We were saving our guest room for Reverend ____, but he sent a telegram saying he couldn’t make it, so you must now be our guest.” Petition three was answered.

    The next morning he met up with the young theologian and he was shocked to learn that God had answered all of the man’s petitions quickly and precisely. (Life’s Ultimate Privilege, DeVern Fromke, pp 45-46)

Change my mindset so that prayer becomes my first response in every situation. May I seek you in all things.

Pray
1.     Help me Lord to come to you first with all my petitions and needs. You are my God and the “lifter of my head.”
2.     Lord, forgive me of my many sins against you. Help them to come to my mind right now so that I may confess each one to you individually and seek your forgiveness.
3.     Help me to know who I have wronged and to go to them and ask for their forgiveness today.

No comments:

Post a Comment