Saturday, August 19, 2017

Jeremiah, God's prophet



   “Then the word of the LORD came to me saying” ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; Before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations.’ Then said I: ‘Ah Lord God! Behold I cannot speak, for I am a youth.’ But the LORD said to me: ‘Do not say, ‘I am a youth,’ For you shall go to all to whom I send you, And whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of their faces, For I am with you to deliver you.’ Says the LORD. (Jeremiah 1:1-8)

    Jeremiah was a prophet of God to the people of Judah for 40 years. He was obedient to the difficult mission that our Lord gave him; to preach to a people who would not listen to him. God gave him 52 chapters to write in the book of Jeremiah  and also 5 more in the book of Lamentations. His name, in Hebrew, means Yahweh Appoints or Sends and he was sent to preach to a nation under the judgment of God.

   He has been called the weeping prophet because what he prophesied for the nation of Judah was total destruction and captivity for a nation that had turned away from God and refused to repent and return to their Maker and Lord. The words he preaches in chapter 31 are especially moving and powerful, words that have the same need to be preached today:

    “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me when you search for me with all you heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

      “’Behold, the days are coming says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Judah—not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them,’ says the LORD.  But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put My law in their minds and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people……For I will  forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more. (Jeremiah 31:31-34)
   
     If you are a born again believer these words apply to you just as they did to the righteous remnant of Judah, thousands of years ago! Put your trust in Him and not your own wisdom or intelligence. He is our Creator, our Savior, our Master, and our King. Let’s now look at what God then tells Jeremiah and us through His prophet in the next verses.

      “Thus says the LORD who made it , the LORD who formed it to establish it (the LORD is His name): Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. (Jeremiah 33:2-3)


    God has pardoned us of our sins if we have repented and accepted Jesus as our Lord. He tell us that “their sin I will remember no more,’ and “Call to Me, and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things.” Call to Him today! Thank Him for taking your sin away and remembering it no more.

"If we are in God's order the thing will go forward ; if we are not in His order, it won't." (Oswald Chambers, Conformed)

PRAY:

1.     Lord, thank you for reminding me that no matter what the difficult task, You are with me to carry me through the fiery trial or problem.
2.     Help me today to spend time with You in prayer and the study of Your Scriptures so that I may be prepared for the day ahead.
3. Lord, be with our nation as we struggle with all the problems we have brought upon ourselves by our disobedience to Your Commandments."

No comments:

Post a Comment