Thursday, June 18, 2020

Faith during trials


   “I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry. He also brought me up our of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. “ (Psalms 40:1-2)

   Psalms 40 is a beautiful Psalm, written by King David. It is a great Scripture to read whenever you are going through a trial. I remember my pastor telling us one time "that you are always either going through a trial, coming out of a trial, or about to go into a trial, all of your life." In my short 71 years on this planet I can say that has been true for my life. Life can be difficult! There are trials in your job, in your family, your church, your nation, and any other organization that you can get involved with on this terrestrial ball.

   David tells us that when he was in trouble he waited patiently for the LORD. Now that is something I haven’t always been to good at; waiting patiently for anything is not my strong suite. But look what happened when David did that! God heard his cry. God reached down and pulled him out of a horrible pit. He took him out of the miry clay. (Can you just imagine your feet stuck in some deep claylike mud and you struggle to put one foot before another as the clay holds tight to your boots!) Then God set his feet on a rock and directed his feet where to walk safely and securely! Thank you Jesus!

   “He has put a new song in my mouth----Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the LORD. Blessed is that man who makes the LORD his trust, And does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies." (verses 3-4)

   When God has delivered you from a trial, do you rejoice, and make sure that everyone knows that it was God who got you through your trouble? Are you praising God with a new song in your mouth? If you do, others will see it and they will be able to put their trust in the Lord also! You will be blessed if you make the Lord your trust and don’t put your faith in men, especially those who are liars.

    “Many, O LORD God, are Your wonderful works which You have done; And Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You in order; If I would declare and speak of them, They are more than can be numbered. Sacrifice and offering You do not desire; My ears You have opened. Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.” (verses 5-6)

    It is difficult to count how many times the Lord has come to your rescue if you are his child. I have a hard time recalling all the wonderful times He has intervened in my life and shown me the path I should take, or made me take a path I did not want to take, but now I can see that it was the best path for me! You don’t need our sacrifices, only our obedience and desire to place You first in our lives.

   “’I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart.’ I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness In the great assembly; Indeed, I do not restrain my lips, O LORD, You Yourself know. I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness within my heart; I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation; I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth From the great assembly." (verses 8-9)

    It is the desire of David to do the will of God because he has His law written in his heart! If I have hid God’s Word in my heart, I know and want to do exactly what God wants me to do. I will proclaim the good news in the church and wherever He sends me to share the good news with those who need to hear. I will tell others of God’s faithfulness, salvation, and lovingkindness because I want them to enjoy the same blessings that I have received from my God!

      PRAY

1.   1. Thank you Lord for taking me “out of the miry pit.” I was going nowhere until You came along and rescued me from a life of sin and rebellion. 
2.    2. Thank you Lord for writing Your law on my heart and giving me Your precious Word to read daily so that I may know You and allow Your Holy Spirit to transform me into the person You want me to be.
3.    Fill me with Your Spirit, and use me in any way that You choose today. My desire is to be a   
       faithful follower and steward of all You have blessed me with.




No comments:

Post a Comment