Wednesday, March 6, 2019

What is your priority?



   “Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said: ‘Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.’ And He laid His hands on them and departed from there.” (Matthew 19:13-15)


   If you are a student of British history you have probably heard of one of the greatest Prime Ministers of all time in Great Britain. His name was William Gladstone and during the 19thcentury he was Prime Minister of Great Britain four different times (a feat which has not been repeated since) and was involved in politics for a total of 60 years. He was a man of integrity and courage and did his part to keep Britain the world power that it was in that century. He was popular with the working-class of England and was nicknamed “The People’s William” or sometimes the “Grand Old Man.”

   I was listening to Pastor John MacArthur on the radio the other day and learned something much more important about him than his political accomplishments: he was a man who had his priorities straight! One night before he was to make a very important speech to Parliament, he was working on his speech at two in the morning when someone knocked on his door. The housekeeper answered the door and there was a lady from the tenements nearby who told the housekeeper that her son was dying. She had heard that the Prime Minister would have something encouraging to say to her son and would he be willing to come and see her son? Mr. Gladstone stopped what he was doing and went with the lady and spent from 2am to 6am with the young man. During the length of time Mr. Gladstone was there he told the young man about what Jesus had done for all of us and led him to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ!

  When he returned to his home he told his housekeeper that “today has been the best day of my life.” He gave his speech to Parliament that afternoon and some said it was the greatest speech he ever gave! 

   How busy is your life today? Do you have time to meet with a friend who is going through a rough spot in life or to listen to your little child who has been interrupting you while you try to relax when you came home from work? I remember once when my children were young and I had come home from work quite tired and had sat down in my chair to relax and read the paper. My wife came in and reminded me that I had two boys out in the back yard that were waiting for their dad to come out and play catch. My attitude wasn’t the greatest, I admit, but I went out and had a good time showing my sons that they were important to me and that I loved them more than the newspaper. 

 Who do you know that needs some time from you? Who is next door or down the street that needs a word of encouragement or needs to hear about the One who can save them from their sins? Pray about it, listen, look for the answer from Him and then go!

  “And whosoever gives one of these little ones a cup of cold water in the name of a disciple, assuredly, I say to you, he shall by no means lose his reward.” (Matthew 10:42)


PRAY

1.    Lord thank you that You are my master and my Lord. Thank you for loving me enough to adopt me as Your son or daughter.
2.    Help me be a blessing to someone today. Open the eyes of my heart and help me to see a child that needs someone to listen to them or an elderly neighbor who needs a shoulder to cry on and let me minister to them for You.

Fill me with Your Spirit and guide my footsteps to walk on the path You have prepared for me this day. Help me not to turn to the right or to the left but to walk straight to the place w

No comments:

Post a Comment