Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Thank you, Reverend Billy Graham

  “How beautiful upon the mountainside Are the feet of him who brings good news, Who proclaims peace, Who brings glad tidings of good things, Who proclaims salvation, Who says to Zion, “Your God reigns!” (Isaiah 52:7)

    This past week we witnessed the passing of one of the giants of the faith; the Reverend Billy Graham, a man who, along with his beloved wife Ruth who passed away years earlier, made a big impact in the lives of millions of people for Christ. He was truly a man that brought the “good news” of salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ to people throughout the world through his evangelistic crusades, books, movies, and through the everyday living of his life totally sold out for the Lord Jesus Christ.

  Like millions of other people I owe a special debt of gratitude to Reverend Graham. I remember sitting on our family couch watching one of his televised crusades when I was fifteen and hearing for the first time in my life the clear gospel given by Doctor Graham. Although my family and I were consistent church goers, and if you would have asked me if I was a Christian I would have said yes, I had never heard that I was a sinner that had to be saved. I would like to tell you that I became a Christian that day but I did not. I said a prayer like I was asked to do but I really didn’t understand what I was saying. But, praise God, a seed had been planted.

    When I was a senior in college I had the opportunity to attend a crusade live at Madison Square Garden in NYC and I went forward at the alter call and again said the prayer and answered the questions the counselor asked me but still did not really understand what salvation was all about. But a seed had been watered, and it would bear fruit in due season. There were other people over the next eight years who tried to tell me about Jesus and the need to surrender my life to Him, to include my dad, and Pastor Charles Stanley whom my sister, DiAnne, took me to hear several times. I am sure that there were also many prayers that went up from my brother, sister and parents also that kept me heading toward the day when I would understand.

   That day finally arrived at Prince Avenue Baptist Church in Athens, GA in 1979 when Pastor Bill Rickets preached, and for the first time I understood my need for a Savior and my life has not been the same since! I repented of my sin and gave my life completely to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords to use as He chose.

    “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.  (2Corinthians 5:17)

   I was a new creation and the course of my life changed from one who was mainly interested in his own agenda to one who is interested primarily in what God wants for me. It does not mean that everything has been laughter and roses but my God radically changed me and continues to change me today, conforming me into the image of Christ little by little.

    “For whom he foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among any brethren.”(Romans 8:29)

   Therefore I must say to Pastor Graham: Thank you for planting and watering the seed of truth in my life many times as you have done for millions of people worldwide. Thank you for your faithfulness to the God that called you into His ministry and has been so faithful to you and all of us who call Jesus our Lord and Savior.

    How about you? Has there been a time in your life when you repented of your sin and surrendered to the leading of the Holy Spirit that lives within you and allowed Him to control your life? If not, do so today! If you still do not understand what I am talking about, find a Bible believing church that can guide you on the right path until you do understand. If you are a Christian already, are you planting seeds, watering seeds, and leading others to the knowledge of Jesus? If not, start today!

PRAY

1.     Thank you Lord for Reverend Graham and his faithfulness to preach the gospel throughout the long time You gave him on this planet called earth.
2.     Help me to be faithful to the job You have given me to be “Your witness” any place where you have planted me; in my family, my neighborhood, my workplace, my school, and any other place you send me.
3.     Thank You Lord for loving me first and dying on an old rugged cross and paying the penalty for my sin so that I could be adopted as your son or daughter in Your kingdom now, and for eternity.



No comments:

Post a Comment