Tuesday, September 5, 2017

My refuge and fortress


  
  “I will say unto the LORD, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him will I trust.’” (Psalms 91:2)

    When my sons Daniel and Adam were In Iraq in 2003 and 2005 they were infantry platoon leaders and had to deal with many difficult and dangerous situations. Their platoons were well trained and armed to accomplish every mission given to them but there was always danger, and the fear of the unknown that was present in every mission they took on. They were able to handle the everyday stress of combat and operations in strange territory because they had faith in God and whenever they had some down time they could be strengthened by the Scriptures and their time alone with God.

    On Christmas Eve 2003, Dan was able to attend a worship service provided by the battalion chaplain and as he was waiting for the service to begin, he was approached by the Battalion Command Sergeant Major (CSM). “You know lieutenant,” began the  CSM, “I really do like ‘Palms’ 91!” Daniel replied, without correcting the CSM on his pronunciation of the book of Psalms: “That is a good one Sergeant Major, I like it also.”
   
   Yes it is a good one for us in the daily battles that we may encounter also! My son Adam said that he read the promises of Psalms 91 every time he left the safety of his operating base to conduct a mission in Iraq! The psalmist tells us:

   “You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day. Nor the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you.” (verses 5-7)

The psalmist continues:

      “Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge, Even the Most High your dwelling place, No evil will befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways, In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.” (verses 9-12)

Finally the author tells us God’s response:

    “Because he has set His love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. He shall call upon Me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation.” (verses14-16)

   Wow! He will deliver me from my enemies! God will answer me when I call upon Him. He will be with me in my troubles! How great is my God to those who honor Him and serve Him in this life! That is the God we serve. That is the one who saves us and adopts us as His sons and daughters. Praise His Name!


Pray:

1.     Lord, You are my shield and strong tower. I come to You to protect me from the evil and danger in this world. You are my refuge!
2.     Lord, help me to always depend on you to guide my paths by staying in Your Word and spending time with you daily.
3.     Lord, help me to look around me and see those who don’t know what an awesome God you are and help me to point them to You.


       

No comments:

Post a Comment