Friday, July 7, 2017

The True Gospel

“But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let them be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received let him be accused. For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.” (Galatians 1:9-10)


  In the short book of Galatians Paul packs a lot of meat into a small box! He had brought the gospel to the churches in Galatia, which was a region in Asia Minor during this period of history. Paul had learned that although the people had accepted the gospel of faith in Jesus gladly when he and Barnabas had delivered it,  many were turning to a new doctrine based on works brought to them by other men. In the verses listed above Paul quickly makes it clear that if anyone brought them any other gospel than the one he had delivered, they were to be “accursed.” We have the same problem today in our world. We have people who have started cults, (that are called religions) that were started because “an angel” brought their “prophet” a new gospel or revelation from God. We even have churches, (that call themselves Christian), that preach another gospel than the one we get from the Bible. (Works gospel, prosperity gospel, partial gospel, etc)

    Paul lets the people of Galatia know right off the bat that he has the credentials to deliver the true gospel. “But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.” (Gal. 1:11-12) Paul has the credentials! He was met on the road to Damascus by Christ Himself, who set him apart to take the gospel to the Gentiles. Paul spent nine years in the desert of Arabia being trained by Holy Spirit to prepare him, for the mission that God had given to him, before he was called by the church in Antioch, to go out as a missionary to the Gentiles.

    Paul tells us that: “But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mothers womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.” (Gal. 1:15-17)

    Paul goes on to tell us that: “knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified. For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” (Gal. 2:16,19-20)

   So it is by faith in Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice that we are saved and brought into a right relationship with Jesus Christ. “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is a gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast.” (Ephesians 2:8-9)

  Finally today, let us look at one more thing that will bring great encouragement to those who understand and stay true to the real gospel as expounded by Paul, and the other writers of the New Testament. “For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, ‘Abba Father!’ Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then and heir of God through Christ.” (Gal. 3:26, 4:6-7)

     Do you understand the true gospel of faith in Jesus Christ and in Him alone to save you and adopt you as His son or daughter? Yes, after you have been saved by faith, you are called to do good works. But it is not the good works or the following of the law that will save you. Make sure you have your life in the right order. Saved by grace and then living for Him and being obedient to the things you learn in His word, the Bible.
   

Pray,
1.     Lord, thank you for the free gift of salvation that you have provided for me, and all who will call upon your name for salvation.
2.     Thank you for your Bible, where you can speak to me through the Holy Spirit and teach me how to live my life so that it counts for Your Kingdom.
3.     Help me to grow closer to You daily by spending time with you in the Scriptures and in prayer.



No comments:

Post a Comment