Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Prayer for the prodigal

     

      Pastor Jim Cymbala of the Brooklyn Tabernacle in New York City talks about a desperate time in his life when his oldest daughter, who had been a model child, became very rebellious at age 16 and eventually left the church and the family to live with her boyfriend. His wife, Carol, at one point heard the devil whisper in her  ear that even though she and her husband were making a great impact for Jesus in  their church and community, he had their oldest child and was going to take the rest. She threatened to take the children out of NYC if he remained there. Pastor Cymbala and his wife went through a long time of anguish and suffering for their daughter but nothing changed. He was impressed by God to cry out to Him only and to not involve other members of the congregation in their struggle.

    One Tuesday night prayer meeting he preached from Acts chapter 4 about the church boldly calling out to God in the face of persecution. A young woman whom he considered spiritually sensitive sent him a note, which read: “Pastor Cymbala, I feel impressed that we should stop the meeting and all pray for your daughter.”  Hesitantly, he decided that the note was good advice from the Lord so he stopped the meeting and addressed the congregation. “The truth of the matter,” he said, “although I haven’t talked much about it, is that my daughter is very far from God these days. She thinks up is down, and down is up; light is dark, and dark is light. But I know God can break through to her, and so I’m going to ask Pastor Boekstaaf to lead us in praying for Chrissy. Let’s join hands across the sanctuary.”


     What happened next can only be described as “the church turned into a labor room.” “There arose a groaning, a sense of desperate determination, as if to say, ‘Satan, you will not have this girl. Take your hands off her---she is coming back!’ I was overwhelmed. The force of the vast throng calling on God almost literally knocked me over.”

Thirty-two hours later, on a Thursday morning, Chrissy returned home and asked her mother if she could talk to her father. When he came down from upstairs where he had been shaving, he cautiously spoke her name: “Chrissy?” She grabbed his pants leg and spoke in anguish. “Daddy---Daddy—I have sinned against God, I’ve sinned against myself. I have sinned against you and Mommy. Please forgive me.”

    After hugging his daughter and crying for a while, Chrissy spoke again. “Who was praying for me? In the middle of the night, God woke me and showed me I was heading into the abyss. There was no bottom to it—it scared me to death. I was so frightened. I realized how hard I’ve been, how wrong, how rebellious. But at the same time, it was like God wrapped His arms around me and held me tight. He kept me from sliding any farther as He said, ‘I still love you.’ Daddy, tell me the truth—who was praying for me Tuesday night?” (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala)

Please increase the fervency and urgency of my prayers for spiritual awakening, and use me to make prayer contagious to others.


Pray
1.     For a desire to pray for the lost and those who know the Lord and are not walking close to Him daily.
2.     Pray for a sensitive spirit to discern who needs to be prayed for and to quickly obey God’s Spirit when prompted to pray for someone.
3.     Ask God to help you be more faithful in your prayer life.


No comments:

Post a Comment