Friday, September 30, 2016

God's Word extolled




    We all know how important God’s word is for us to be able to know Him and follow His leading. Paul tells us that: “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be compete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” (2 Tim. 3:16-17)

   The writer of Psalms 119 was so excited about God’s word that he wrote the longest Psalm in the book of Psalms extolling the glory and benefits of knowing Scripture and applying it to our lives.  The Psalm is divided into 22 sections (one for each Hebrew letter of the alphapet) of eight verses with each verse starting with the same Hebrew letter, in each section, so that we have not only an awesome work of praise but a literary masterpiece for memorization. Let us look as just a few of the statements he shouts to the rooftops!

   “Blessed are the undefiled in the way, Who walk in the law of the LORD! Blessed are those who keep His testimonies, Who seek Him with the whole heart! (vs.1-2) With my whole heart I have sought You; Oh, let me not wander from your commandments! Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You. (vs. 10-11) I will meditate on Your precepts, And contemplate Your ways. I will delight myself in Your statues; I will not forget Your word.” (vs. 15-16)

   “Teach me, O Lord the way of Your statues, And I shall keep it to the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law; Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Turn my eyes away from looking at worthless things, And revive me in Your way.” (vs. 34,37)

“Your hands have made me and fashioned me; Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments. Unless Your law had been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction.” (vs.73,92)

  Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day. You, through Your commandments, make me wiser that my enemies; For they are ever with me.  I have more understanding then all my teachers, For Your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, Because I keep Your precepts.” (vs. 97-100)

    “Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path. I have sworn and confirmed That I will keep Your righteous judgments. Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever, For they are the rejoicing of my heart. I have inclined my heart to perform Your statues Forever, to the very end.” (vs. 105-106,111-112)

“I rise before the dawning of the morning, And cry for help; I hope in Your word. My eyes are awake through the night watches, That I may meditate on your word. Let my cry come before You O LORD; Give me understanding according to Your word. Let my supplication come before You; Deliver me according to Your word. My lips shall utter praise, for You teach me Your statues.” (vs.147-148, 169-171)

Wow! Wow! And Wow! Here is a man who knows the importance of the Word of God in His life! How about you today? Have you set aside time everyday to learn from all the wisdom that God has for you delivered by you private tutor, the Holy Spirit? If you have some extra time today read and meditate on the whole Psalm. Or better yet, read part of it today and meditate on that part. Then take a little every day until you have read and meditated on it all. You will not regret it!

Pray:
1.     That God will give me a new thirst and hunger for His word everyday. That my time in the word will be food and drink for my weary soul.
That our church will become doers of the word and   not just hearers only in every part of our lives.

2.     That the truths God has revealed to us in His Word will be burned into our minds and spirits and we will not stop, or even slow down, what God has done in us.
3.     That we will live everyday in obedience to the things God has revealed to our hearts and that we will be men and women, boys and girls, on fire for our Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment