Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Our nation's legacy

"But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night or of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him. (1 Thessalonians 5:1-2, 5-6, 9-10 NKJV)

   These words, written by the Apostle Paul to the church at Thessolonica almost 2000 year ago, are as valid today as they were then. We live in a country that many would call a "Christian" nation but it certainly is not that today. Yes, we still have a majority of people who would classify themselves as Christians but they really do not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and if they attended a church when they were young they have not darkened the door of a house of worship for many years or maybe once or twice a year. They do not take the teachings of Jesus seriously, nor do they believe that the Bible is the Word of God. For those of us who do take being a disciple of Jesus seriously we are not providing the type of witness to the rest of the nation and world of what it really means to be a follower of Christ.
   What are the consequences of this falling away from God and the laws He has laid down in His word that are all written down for our benefit? It means that we as nation can expect to be judged just as God has judged other nations in the past to include His very own people in Israel and Judah. We have been a blessed country for the first 200 years but I must say that in my short lifetime we have witnessed a steady decline in what has been called the "Judeo-Christian" beliefs. We have the destruction of the family and desecration of marriage. We have murdered the unborn and made divorce the rule rather than the exception. We have politicians and businessmen and women who don't think twice about lying or breaking the law to make more money or achieve more power.
    What can God do about such a nation that has the nerve to say it is "Christian" and do the things that it does in contradiction to His Word, the Bible.  Several years ago a young man who had grown up in the jungles of Venezuela worshiping demons and living in a primitive  stone age society, where it was alright to kill others and steel their women, and do whatever evil things their shamans (witch doctors) told them to do, was converted to Christianity and a few years later he was able to travel to the US with Mark Richie who had written the book ,Spirit of the Rain Forest: A Yanomami Shaman's Story .
    The young man had been given the name of Bautista (Baptist) after his conversion and he had a translator helping him as Mr. Richie took him to various universities in the US. "On one of these tours during a question and answer session someone asked Bautista a question. 'You keep talking about your people needing change. Just what kind of change do your people need?' Bautista answered: 'First of all, I want to make it very clear that any change apart from the gospel of Jesus Christ  will not help my people.' One of the professors stood up.  'I know you have been brainwashed by your friend there,' she said, pointing toward Gary (Dawson), 'because I have a good life, and I have not had to convert to Christianity to get it. My parents immigrated over here to get away from the fighting in Lebanon when I was just a little girl. I am at peace, yet I have not had to change my religion or culture to have that peace.'
    Bautista was silent a moment, then spoke. 'While out in the jungle, if I notice a storm approaching I grab my machete and begin to build a lean-to shelter. Working quickly, I cut the poles and palm leaves I need.  I then run and pull some vines to tie the whole thing together. I build my shelter and get under it before it starts raining. Now, if you come running up right before the storm breaks and I let you come in, you are dry because you are under my shelter. I submit to you that is what you have done here. My friend told me how this country was founded by people coming across the great water because they wanted to serve God. They built this country great by having the shelter of God's Word over them. You can live a life of peace here because you are under the shelter that they built. You have done nothing to deserve this life, but you are enjoying the benefits of their labor. Now my people on the other hand, have no shelter. So that is why I say the first and only change that will  really help my people is to have this shelter that is Jesus. We have no other hope.'
   Slowly the professor sat down. Bautista looked around bewildered at the standing ovation he received from the student body." (Growing Up Yanomamo by Michael Dawson pp. 312-313)
     God has indeed been gracious to this nation. We need to acknowledge Him and give him the praise and honor He deserves and realize that it is the responsibility of the Christians of this nation to turn to Him and seek His forgiveness for the the ways we have abandoned Him in this current generation. We have taken the Bible out of our classrooms where it was for the first 180 years of our existence. We need to stop the violence of abortion which has already snuffed out millions of lives that were created in the image of God. We need to turn back to our churches and reach out to those who don't know the Savior, Jesus Christ.
   How about you? Do you know the Savior who is called Jesus Christ? You can if you take the time to search for Him in His Word, the Bible. Start with the book of John and then keep on reading. Learn for yourself who it is who created the world and created you in His image. If you are already a born again believer, are you living for Him? Are you seeking His truth in the Bible daily and are you connected to a Bible-Beliving Church where you can serve Him in your community and around the world. If you are not, start today.

Pray

1. Lord help me to be a more faithful reader of Your Word and to spent time with you in prayer and meditation on Your Word, the Bible every day.
2. Lord, forgive me of my sins today. (name them specifically) Help me to keep my thoughts and actions pure today. Help me to be obedient to your commandments and teachings even when they don't always make sense to me.
3. Lord, forgive us as a nation for our manifold sins. Help us to elect godly men and women for our positions of government and let us return to being a nation that cherishes your Word and stands for the truth and justice in this country You have blessed so bountifully.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment