Saturday, June 8, 2024

My Father


“I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, says the LORD Almighty.”       (II Corinthians 6:18, NKJV)


     I was on a bus traveling from Dallas to Fort Worth two years ago and I saw a sign that announced that we were travelling on the Tom Landry Highway. I said out loud to no one in particular, “Coach Landry was a good coach.” A lady from Dallas sitting across the aisle, immediately corrected me, “Coach Landry was a great coach!” she said. She was right!

     As I reflect upon my father today, I am struck with the same idea about his ability as a father, He was a great father! I have many memories of his leadership and care for my mother and us five children. He was a soldier, who served in World War II and then accepted a regular Army commission after the war to serve another 20 years. He was a hero who had survived 2 years of continuous combat in North Africa, Sicily, Normandy, France, Belgium, and Germany. He had been wounded 3 times and had earned a Silver Star for gallantry in action. However, growing up I never heard any of his experiences in the war except the circumstances of his Silver Star.

    He was the unquestioned leader of our family, but he was always in total agreement with my mother. I am certain that they didn’t agree on everything, but they always hashed things out away from the children before letting us know what the rules were or what activities were planned. I don’t have any recollection of being physically punished by him, (although I am sure there were times, I deserved it) but I do remember that I respected him so much that I never wanted to disappoint him. I think the term I read in a leadership survey once that would describe him as a “benevolent dictator.”

     He was interested in my schoolwork, my character, and my knowledge of the Lord and His Son, Jesus Crist. He made sure we went to church and Sunday School every Sunday. I remember one time outside the church when I remarked to my brother that: “If I don’t want to come to church, I don’t have to.” He corrected me immediately! “Oh yes, you do. We all come together as a family, and you are part of the family.” I was sure that I was coming to church on my own volition, but he reminded me that I was still under his authority.

     Most of my memories are of fishing trips with my brothers to a nearby lake, trips to the beach, or to visit relatives with the whole family. He taught me how to hunt and fish and then clean the fish or game. He taught me to play tennis, shoot a rifle, catch and throw a baseball and football, and to caddy for him when he played golf. But the most important thing I learned was how to be a man of integrity. He always spoke the truth in love, and you knew that his word was his bond. To the best of his ability, he would always do what he believed was right in the eyes of God and man.

   Because he was such a great dad, I wanted to be just like him when I grew up. I followed him into a career as an Army Officer and tried to carry myself with the same honor and integrity that he had taught me. When he was about 55 years old, he attended a Billy Graham crusade in Atlanta, GA and both he and my mother gave their lives to Christ. When my wife and I returned from a 3-year tour of duty in Germany in 1975 he was the first to tell me that I too, should surrender my life to the Savior. I didn’t at that time, but he planted a seed that came to fruition four years later.

   Whether or not you have or had a good father, everyone that comes to Christ receives a loving heavenly Father that you can depend on for the rest of your life and in eternity also! 

What does the Bible say about your Heavenly Father?

  You have a Father that never forgets you or what you are going through:

   “Can a woman forget her nursing child, And not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, Yet I will not forget you. See, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me. (Isaiah 49:15-16)

You have a Father that is by your side through every trial.

  “And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:8)

You have a Father that protects you.

   “He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day.” (Psalm 91:4-5)

You have a Father that is merciful and forgiving.

    For as far as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.  As a father pities his children, So the LORD pities those who fear Him. “(Psalm 103:11-13)

Pray

1.        Lord, help me to always look to you as my loving Father and depend upon Your mercy and forgiveness.

2.        Help me today to look for someone to encourage with the Scripture above so they can be reminded of what a loving and faithful Father You are.

3.        Thank you, Lord for loving me enough to die for my sins on the cross.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment